The municipal waste management procedure in the city of Daugavpils is determined by the binding regulations No.16 “Waste Management Regulations in Daugavpils Municipality”.
There are no landfills or waste deposit areas in the territory of the city of Daugavpils - the South Latgale region municipal waste landfill "Cinīši" is located in Demene parish of Daugavpils district.
A great deal of attention is paid to the city being clean and tidy at any time of the year. The waste management process is particularly monitored. Citizens are given the opportunity to get rid of bulky waste, because it always causes problems. The municipality works hard to eliminate spontaneous dumps, working with citizens, not only municipal services, but also municipal police actively engage in this process. Daugavpilians take active part in clean-up activities, participate in nationwide campaigns, and also organize their own cleaning campaigns. The city organizes the campaign of green mass collection every autumn and spring. Particular attention is paid to maintaining the city’s greenery, regular cleaning of the shores of the reservoirs.
According to the agreement “On the Management of Municipal Waste in the Administrative Territory of the City of Daugavpils” concluded on August 29, 2017 between Daugavpils City Council and SIA “Atkritumu apsaimniekošanas Dienvidlatgales starppašvaldību organizācija” ("Waste Management South Latgale Intergovernmental Organization") (hereinafter - AADSO), starting from October 1, 2017, AADSO carries out municipal waste management in the city of Daugavpils.
Sorted waste collection site in Liģinišķi residential area
Upon starting the operation of the site, any natural or legal person has the opportunity to deliver free of charge pre-sorted waste which can be recycled. The sorting of waste and the delivery of packaging to this type of collection sites allows to reduce the amount of total waste for each legal or natural person to be handled by the waste manager, thus reducing the overall waste management costs.
Sorted waste collection site in Liginišķi is open every day (without holidays) from 8.00 am to 7.00 pm.
The following sorted material, which can be recycled, can be delivered to the sorted waste collection site in Liginišķi:
- Plastic packaging;
- Metal packaging;
- Glass packaging;
- Bulky waste (outworn furniture);
- Wooden packaging;
- Paper and cardboard packaging;
- Outworn tires (one set of tires, i.e. 4 tires a year, presenting a vehicle registration certificate);
- Other motor oils, gear oils and lubricating oils;
- Invalid electrical equipment containing hazardous components and electronic equipment that does not conform to class 200121 and 200123;
- Invalid equipment containing hazardous components other than mentioned in class 160209, 160210, 160211 and 160212;
- Oil filters;
- Lead accumulators;
- Nickel and cadmium (Ni-Cd) batteries and accumulators;
- Other unusable batteries and accumulators;
- Fluorescent lamps;
- Other unusable electrical and electronic equipment that does not conform to class 200121, 200123 and 200135.