“Ventspils IT Challenge 2022” Experiments and Invites to VIZIUM Education news
On thursday, 29 September, starts the seventh “Ventspils IT Challenge 2022” competition, which has become a good tradition and awaited event in autumn for students. And no wonder why – the competition gives students an opportunity to creatively express themselves, prove themselves and their abilities on an international scale between Baltic countries, and compete for a considerable prize money fund – nearly 13 000 EUR! This year the organisers have taken care of long-awaited news – the competition finals once again will happen in person, in Ventspils.
Since the start of the competition in 2016, IT field has evolved. Technologies are being mastered and integrated in every topic; as they have entered all learning topics and areas of life, quite rapidly they are thought about in the context of everything around. In school, subjects are connected within the framework of the learning process, and computer literacy has become a new basic skill alongside reading, writing and mathematics. STEM, where technology skills are an important component, has been evolving increasingly.
While maintaining the importance of technology in the competition, experiments have been chosen to be the main topic this year, giving this year’s competition the name – “Ventspils IT Challenge” Experiments. Nowadays pupils are increasingly more involved in the process of acquiring knowledge by experimenting and coming to their own conclusions. Such discovery process leads to new knowledge, encourages critical thinking, creativity, teamwork, decision making, digital and other skills. Therefore, this year – let’s experiment!
Competition finals will welcome 46 most erudite teams. Participants are divided into four groups based on their age:
- Grade 1 to 3– Group A, only pupils from Latvia;
- Grade 4 to 6– Group B, pupils from Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia;
- Grade 7 to 9 – Group C, pupils from Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia;
- Grade 10 to 12 – Group D, pupils from Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia.
What could be a better home for the competition’s experiments than science centre VIZIUM, where students and other young people have the opportunity to experiment and watch science shows every day. This year, the main venue of the competition will be VIZIUM, where the tasks, awarding ceremony and other surprises for students will await.
The competition and rounds in short:
- Students and vocational school students from grades 1 to 12 are invited to take part in the competition.
- The 1st round will take place until 13 November. Until then:
- Teams of 4 people, 3 pupils and 1 adult, should be made. The adult can be a teacher, advisor, parent, godparent, etc. of a pupil;
- The team must register on website ventspilsitc.com;
- On the competition website, teams must find the task of their age group (A, B, C or D) and finish it until 13 November;
- Their finished task must be submitted on the competition website.
- Teams must wait for an invite to the finals in Ventspils.
- The finals in Ventspils for group A will take place from 8 to 9 December, for the rest of teams (groups B, C and D) from 7 to 9 December.
- Organizers' provisions for the finalists:
- Accommodation in Ventspils during the competition;
- Delicious meals – breakfast, lunch and dinner;
- A visit to science centre VIZIUM, excursions and entertainment events;
- Transportation expenses compensation at a rate of 0.20 EUR/km for getting to the Competition and back.
- The winners will be announced at the awarding ceremony that will take place on the final day of the competition – 9 December.
As usual, valuable prizes will be awarded not only to award-winning teams but also to schools with the greatest number of teams that participated. A special competition for teachers will be held as well.
This year, there will also be the opportunity to take part in online events and meet the task creators. This is a great opportunity to ask any unclear questions directly to the source. The online links will be published on the competition website and social media accounts and will be organised each group separately:
- Group A on 10 October at 18:00;
- Group B on 11 October at 18:00;
- Group C on 12 October at 18:00;
- Group D on 13 October at 18:00.
More detailed information about the competition can be found on website www.ventspilsitc.com, as well as on the social networks Instagram @ventspilsitchallenge and Facebook @ventspilsitc. In case of questions or uncertainty, please write an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Technology competition “Ventspils IT challenge” takes place thanks to the support of Ventspils City Municipality.
The competition is organised by Ventspils City Municipality institution "Ventspils Digital Centre" in cooperation with trusted partners and informative supporters: Science Centre “VIZIUM”, Ventspils University of Applied Sciences, Ventspils City Council Education Department, Liepaja City Council Education Department's “Science and Education Innovation Centre”, Cesis Space Education Centre, Daugavpils Innovation Centre, "Network of innovative informal education for youth (INPUT)", "Information Technology Foundation for Education (HITSA)", educational organisation "MTÜ Nuti-Võlur", IT Education Fundation – Start(IT), Latvian Information and communications technology association (LIKTA), the Ministry of Education and Science in Latvia and the National Education Development Agency.
For further information:
Competition “Ventspils IT Challenge” director
Phone: +371 28458018